Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - Excellent Utility

Excellent Utility

Excellent Utility

Postby stargazer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:56 pm

Hello SKY-MAP.org,

This is my first post to your forum. I love what you've created. It's brilliant and I appreciate what you have done. This is a wonderful service.

I do have a couple of suggestions. I'm not an astronomer, I'm a software engineer so this might not make any sense, but the logic seems sound. I've noticed that you have several viewing modes, which I find a little confusing. The confusion starts when the viewing mode changes depending on what I click. What would be helpful is a drop down menu or some sort of menu variation that indicates which viewing mode I'm in and provide the ability to change the mode from that same drop down list.

The second suggestion would be for me as a user to be able to locate something moving at high velocity and track it's progress, like comet Elenin for example (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7QAZPb- ... r_embedded note that I don't share the video author's views) or other objects that may be approaching our solar system like this: http://www.examiner.com/ufo-in-canada/3 ... g-to-earth. I have no idea what would be involved in creating an interface for tracking these types of objects. Perhaps there's just not enough data? If the data is available, this feature would be very useful even if from a warning perspective (think Doppler radar for our solar system). Perhaps many of the sky watchers who are following these objects might be able to make some new discoveries using such a tool.

Finally a question. Do you guys plan to incorporate combined images from the WISE satellite?

Thanks for your tremendous efforts!

Regards,
stargazer
stargazer

Return to You opinion on sky-map.org