Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - I Don't Like This

I Don't Like This

I Don't Like This

Postby cibertrix » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:56 am

Don't worry I am not going to curse just for the sake of it, I can see what you are doing here and it is good work that is being done, but I just don't like the way this site works - that is to say, I don't find the site intuitive to use and that makes this otherwise highly interesting material frustrating and disappointing to use.

The general design of the website I find somewhat lacking also and not informative in the way that the data is presented, although I can see the data is there, it's just not well presented.

I had not heard of this site before until I happened to be reading about Googles new Sky Map, which included a link here, and in truth I was expecting something way better.

I would like to be able to zoom in and out using the mouse wheel - not the upside down slider control which is annoying to use and obtrusive.

I would like to be able to left click a point/object on the star field for a translucent basic facts window to appear within my screen - having to scroll the window left and right all the time is also very annoying.

I would like to to move/position the star map using my right scroll button.

I don't like the empty white browser that shows up between clicking an object and the resulting information being displayed.

The top menu bar seems to hold irrelevant links - most of that stuff could go somewhere else on the page so that MORE web page is used to display - as it is you are severely limiting your display space.

http://www.shatters.net/celestia/ is a similar program (but not web browser based) that has its mouse controls and info well thought out - perhaps this might be possible with a web browser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celestia

Anyways I wish you luck with this project, it is really worth pursuing. I will not be bookmarking this website just yet, but who knows, maybe in a year or two I might get back here to see how things are going. I am sure things will improve drastically with or without my comments, so please don't take my comments too harshly as they are not intended that way.

My best wishes to all on this project :)
cibertrix

Thank you very much!

Postby admin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:50 am

Thank you very much for your criticism. We definitely agree with some of your notes. There is certainly a plenty of things to be done to improve SKY-MAP. We also have a couple of questions:
1. You wrote: ?I would like to move/position the star map using my right scroll button?. It has confused us a bit ? what ?right scroll button? is?
2. We also do not understand another statement: ?having to scroll the window left and right all the time is also very annoying? Could you please specify what exactly do you mean?

Thank you very much for your feedback ? it is very important for us on our way forward.

With great respect,

SKY-MAP.ORG team.
admin
Site Admin

Return to You opinion on sky-map.org