Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - Falling into a black hole

Falling into a black hole

A black hole is defined to be a region of space-time where escape to the outside universe is impossible. The outer boundary of this region is called the event horizon. Nothing can move from inside the event horizon to the outside, even briefly, due to the extreme gravitational field existing within the region.

Falling into a black hole

Postby richard_f » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:15 am

I read that a body that is falling into a black hole will never cross the event horizon. Is it true and does it mean that the actual mass of a black hole stays constant?
richard_f

Postby Stephen R. Hickman » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:34 am

No, objects falling into black holes actually do cross the event horizon due to the overwhelming gravitational forces. The mass of the black hole, therefore, is increased as more matter is pulled in.
Stephen R. Hickman
Stephen R. Hickman

Postby SupernovA » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:17 pm

Stephen R. Hickman wrote:No, objects falling into black holes actually do cross the event horizon due to the overwhelming gravitational forces. The mass of the black hole, therefore, is increased as more matter is pulled in.

is that mean the whole universe will be finish by pulled in the Big black Hole ??
SupernovA

Postby Stephen R. Hickman » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:52 pm

The edge of the universe is expanding at the speed of light, and has been doing so for quite some time. The matter nearer to the edge thereof, though not moving quite that fast, is still moving at relativistic speeds. Black holes simply move too slow to reach the matter nearer to the edge of the universe. Therefore, in the extremely distant future(barring any extra-universal events), the edge of the universe will likely be the safest place to live--if we can just get there! ;)
Stephen R. Hickman
Stephen R. Hickman

Postby moonster » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:57 pm

The edge of the universe is expanding at the speed of light, and has been doing so for quite some time. The matter nearer to the edge thereof, though not moving quite that fast, is still moving at relativistic speeds. Black holes simply move too slow to reach the matter nearer to the edge of the universe. Therefore, in the extremely distant future(barring any extra-universal events), the edge of the universe will likely be the safest place to live--if we can just get there! ;)

I don't think it's correct to say about edge of the Universe as some particular place, as it incorrect to assume that there's a center point in space the Universe expanding from.
The Universe is expanding equally in every point. It's like the surface of a balloon. When you blow it up the surface is expanding in every point.
But there's such thing as visible horizon, beyond that due to expansion the matter "flying away" faster (relative to Earth) then speed of light.
Though I agree it's very unlikely we all end up in a Very Big Black Hole. It'll rather be The Big Rip :shock:
moonster

The Merge of the Black Holes .

Postby SupernovA » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:12 pm

Stephen R. Hickman wrote:The edge of the universe is expanding at the speed of light, and has been doing so for quite some time. The matter nearer to the edge thereof, though not moving quite that fast, is still moving at relativistic speeds. Black holes simply move too slow to reach the matter nearer to the edge of the universe. Therefore, in the extremely distant future(barring any extra-universal events), the edge of the universe will likely be the safest place to live--if we can just get there! ;)

I agree with moonster about talking about the edge of the Universe as some particular place , Because when you say the edge of the Universe means that you specified an end point for the mean Universe , and that means though that you have to define the edge of the point and tell about what behind the edge of the universe what is out universe or what is out the edge of the universe ..
And in another way and Due to The mass of the black hole increasing as more matter is pulled in , so it sure increaseing its overwhelming gravitational forces and give it more ability to swallow more and biger stars and matters , Also even if the black holes move too slow comparing the speed of the Universe expansion , I belive it getting closer to eachothers what may make it merge into eachothers making a bigger black hole with greater overwhelming gravitational forces to swallow huger and more stars and matters , Due to that in a moment of the Universe life the ally of the black holes will reach a point of Mass Big enough to have overwhelming gravitational forces enough to swallow the rest of the Universe , that moment when the overwhelming gravitational forces of the Black holes ally will be powerfull than the expanding speed of the universe to swallow the rest of the Universe, I think it will be a chellenge between the speed of the Universe expansion and the Power of the overwhelming gravitational forces of the merged Black holes , which have the upper hand the Power or the speed ??!!!
if that merge of the Black Holes happened before 50 billion years to ending the Universe before the expected Big Rip which expected to be in 50 billion years for the Universe as we now know .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Rip

Excuse me for my bad English cuz it's not my Tongue Language , Also all my assumptions overhere are my own Imagination not a scientific major which can be to cite with it .. it's just an amateur imaginations and concepts about space .. :) ..
SupernovA

Postby Stephen R. Hickman » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:09 pm

Astrophysicists have been able to determine that the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy has no direct gravitational effect on the stars at the galactic edge. There is a limit to any black hole's reach, no matter the mass thereof. Unless the universe expands back around upon itself, there is virtually no chance that all of the matter therein could be swallowed into black holes--even if all of the black holes were to merge into one.

SupernovA, your English is much better than my Arabic! :D
Stephen R. Hickman
Stephen R. Hickman

Postby ian » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:05 pm

It looks like this topic has disappeared into a black hole :lol:
ian

Re: Falling into a black hole

Postby chairflyer2002 » Fri May 08, 2009 7:27 pm

I believe what Richard may be speaking about, is something I thought I heard on a science show RE; BLACKHOLES.

If I remember (understand correctly) - either an observer outside the influence of the blackhole - OR - the ufortunate lug falling into the hole - would never see the other DISAPPEAR, due to the effects on light waves causing the scene to remain forever for rhem.

I know this sounds kinda stupid since the one falling is said to be "spegettified" from the gravity forces, thereby dead - eventually, but, just wanted to C m A in all respects :cry:

if anyone has info about this, as to my accuracy, let me know

thanks,

chairflyer2002
chairflyer2002

Postby markakleive » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:04 am

I agree with what people have to say about the black hole, but I feel that its not the end of the universe.
There is more into it that we can think of.
markakleive

Postby Ethnmad » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:55 pm

Hello! can we travel in time by jumping in to the black hole?
Ethnmad

Postby Krikor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:21 pm

still we dont know much about the black holes
I suppose that we shall not even exisit if we come even close to a black hole , we shall disintegrate to small particles , so practicaly we would never know really how it would be if we fall in a black hole
Krikor

Re:

Postby 57coward » Mon May 30, 2011 3:45 am

ian wrote:It looks like this topic has disappeared into a black hole :lol:

haha, nice one. ;)
57coward

Postby chengliu » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:38 am

lack holes simply move too slow to reach the matter nearer to the edge of the universe. Therefore, in the extremely distant future(barring any extra-universal events), the edge of the universe will likely be the safest place to live--if we can just get there! ;)
chengliu

Postby txabier7 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:50 am

richard_f wrote:I read that a body that is falling into a black hole will never cross the event horizon. Is it true and does it mean that the actual mass of a black hole stays constant?

It's really interesting subject, I have a friend who has a blog that explains it all very natural and understandable to the layman, it is clear that in the explanation of this phenomenon involves many specialties astronomical
Sabiens is called, you have to google it in the search
txabier7

Return to Black Holes