Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - Are there any ET search programs?

Are there any ET search programs?

Extraterrestrial life is life that exists and originates outside the planet Earth, the only place in the universe currently known by humans to support life. Its existence is still hypothetical as there is currently little, if any, evidence of other planets that can support life, or actual extraterrestrial life that has been widely accepted by the scientific community.

Are there any ET search programs?

Postby alfa » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:31 am

Anybody knows about any special programs for ET search? I heard US government is supporting ET search. I would be thankful for any links about that.

Regards,
A. Alferov
alfa

Postby moonster » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:53 am

The most well known ET search program is SETI. It's looking for high frequency radio signal different from usual Universe noise. They didn't find ET, but had few other scientific discoveries.
Just few days ago I read about new radio telescope that would be able to search for low frequency radio signal similar to our radio and TV broadcast.
moonster

Postby Tuguldur » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:33 am

hello all,

several months ago I've seen one documentary film about Sloan telescope, and SDSS program.

And the lecturer has mentioned about strange objects of +21magnitude, which pictures were caught during experimental photos of 8.4m primary mirror.

Do you guys heard about those objects?

clear skies, Tuugii
Tuguldur
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:08 pm

Hi Tuugii,
Never heard about the object, but I would like to see documentary about SDSS project. Do you remember the name, series?

Thanks,
Sergei
admin
Site Admin

Postby Tuguldur » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:16 pm

hello Sergei,

sure, here is the link: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4364162621957872851

Tuugii[/url]
Tuguldur
Site Admin

Postby Parsec » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:01 pm

Thank you for the link Tuugii, I found it most interesting.

These objects should prove to be quite a story when enough data is in. There is another unit that is being installed on the James Clerk Maxwell Telescope in Hawaii that may help.
This is the SCUBA-2 unit.

I have been interested in SETI for some time now. In fact I have tried it myself.
I am a amateur radio operator (VE1 RCW) and have for a long time 'listened' to the sky. I have never heard or recorded anything out of the ordinary. Although I have heard lightning storms on Jupiter, dawn chorus, whistlers and such things.
But then amateurs have limited funds and equipment.

This is only a personal opinion but I think the big 'professional' SETI stations should be spending more time on lower frequencies and not so much time on the 'water hole'.
I think perhaps radar frequencies and things in that area would be much better monitored.

The closest thing we have observed to ET up to this point is the 'WOW' signal.
This is not the physic crap and all that stuff. This is actual science. For those that have never heard of this I will give a quick overview.

The Ohio State University at one time use to do SETI on their 'Big Ear' radio telescope. They would record data 24/7 and process it via normal channels at the time.
On the morning of August 15, 1977 when they processed the data the numbers showed a narrow band signal had been recorded and had lasted 72 seconds.

This data looked to be not a terrestrial signal. And narrow band signals are not a natural occurrence.
So, what this was is still to this date unknown.

They went back the next night and many nights after to try and capture the same signal, but it never appeared again.

The reason it is called the WOW signal is it was circled on the readout paper and the word ?WOW? was written on it.
"We live in a changing universe, and few things are changing faster than our conception of it."
- Timothy Ferris
Parsec

ET

Postby terrydriverman » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:06 pm

I just thought I would say something. Anyone who believs that we are the only ones in this world or beyound is not thinking outside the box. We have some much stuff out there you have to be nuts not to believe. Just a thought. 8)
terrydriverman

Postby ian » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:06 am

You never know what's around the next corner - that's if there is a 'corner' in space :wink:
ian

Re: Are there any ET search programs?

Postby jimraynor » Wed May 18, 2011 8:53 pm

well i have this one here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdwoPqWzxVs

That's just part one, there are 5 all in all.
jimraynor

Re: Are there any ET search programs?

Postby chengliu » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:42 am

I think perhaps radar frequencies and things in that area would be much better monitored.
chengliu

Return to Extraterrestrial Life