Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - Forms of Extraterrestrial life

Forms of Extraterrestrial life

Extraterrestrial life is life that exists and originates outside the planet Earth, the only place in the universe currently known by humans to support life. Its existence is still hypothetical as there is currently little, if any, evidence of other planets that can support life, or actual extraterrestrial life that has been widely accepted by the scientific community.

Forms of Extraterrestrial life

Postby hamilrob » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:37 pm

I have a question:

Is it possible for extraterrestrial beings to stand 100 miles tall?
hamilrob

Postby Stephen R. Hickman » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:18 pm

Almost certainly not, as the internal arrangement of such a life-form would add entirely too much mass to the life-form for it to stand that tall, not to mention that the atmospheric differences at such altitudes would either require the life-form to slither like a snake, or to crawl like a millipede, but never to stand like a human.
Stephen R. Hickman
Stephen R. Hickman

Postby hamilrob » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:17 pm

Good. Exactly what I thought. I am in a debate with a friend of mine who likes to speculate without restriction on things thyat are seemingly beyond the yoke of logic.

Thanks again
hamilrob

Postby Stephen R. Hickman » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:33 am

No problem. :D
Stephen R. Hickman
Stephen R. Hickman

Postby moonster » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:27 pm

I would rather be more open mind on the subject. Let's imagine giant planet with thick atmosphere. The atmosphere pressure will be so high it will make any beings rather floating in it like underwater creatures on Earth. So I don't see any physical limitation to imagine some gigantic life forms floating out there.
BTW, I just searched the Internet - the tallest life form on Earth is Australian eucalyptus - about 143 meters (470 ft.) high.
moonster

Postby Stephen R. Hickman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:14 am

Such atmospheric conditions could only be found on a gas giant, where the pressure increases dramatically with descent. If a life-form were to exist in such conditions, then it would have to do so within a very limited altitudal range. This would make the creature 100 miles long, not 100 miles tall. Such a creature would likely resemble a dragon, sans fire-breath, lest it ignites the atmosphere. It would probably not resemble a fish, as it would need very large (read: incredibly huge!) wings to stay aloft against the planet's immense gravity. Whatever you do, do not provoke such a creature, for you are crunchy and taste good! :wink:
Stephen R. Hickman
Stephen R. Hickman

Postby hamilrob » Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:50 pm

Well maybe I AM myopic. I think the pattern of life was defined by the same mechanism that defined the way in which gravity, the strong nuclear force, the weak nuclear force, and electromagnetism combined to bring about the formation of atoms and molecules. This earth just happened to be a place where life could develop. I hate so sound so closed minded, but I think some fortunate generation in the near future is going to be pleasantly surprised to find a continuum, not an abject difference.

Sooner or later, the term "extraterrestrial" will become outdated by discoveries continuing to show basic microbial and single celled organisms thriving all over the universe! they will show differences from planet to planet, but there will be some gross similarities. 100 mile LONG beings hovering in the atmospheres of gas giants is not something that I think will be realized. Richard Dawkins, I believe, wrote something about the genes being the essential living forces, arguing that genes make their way around the universe seeking organisms in which to express themsselves.

Thought: Does anybody consider that maybe WE are the et's? More on that later.

bh
hamilrob

Postby Stephen R. Hickman » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:39 am

The Theory of Evolution and the Theory of Creation have this one rule in common: "Form Follows Function.".
Stephen R. Hickman
Stephen R. Hickman

Postby hamilrob » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:21 pm

Stephen R. Hickman wrote:The Theory of Evolution and the Theory of Creation have this one rule in common: "Form Follows Function.".

Explain, por favor.
hamilrob

Postby Stephen R. Hickman » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:22 am

The Theory of Evolution states that organisms evolve body parts which it needs. For example, if the T-Rex needed bigger arms, then it would've evolved them.

The Theory of Creation states that God created the organisms with the body parts needed to fulfill the purpose which He envisioned for that organism. For example, God didn't need the T-Rex to have big arms, only stubby ones--and that's what the T-Rex got.

Either way, form follows function.
Stephen R. Hickman
Stephen R. Hickman

Postby joolzy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:13 am

how does anybody know really,my options are open,nothing suprises me no more :D
joolzy

Postby Stephen R. Hickman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:42 pm

Not trying to seem sarcastic, but to what, specifically, do you refer?
Stephen R. Hickman
Stephen R. Hickman

Postby ian » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:20 pm

hamilrob wrote:Thought: Does anybody consider that maybe WE are the et's? More on that later

I don't know what to think about that one. Any more thoughts on the subject? :)
ian

Postby Steko » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:00 pm

Once you have space travel and genetic manipulation squared away you can overcompensate to your heart's content.

But as mentioned size works against you in gravitational environments (which may be implied by "standing").
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square-cube_law

Giant sentient "robots" that slowly build themselves into megastructures might be the most likely candidates for something like this though. Earth should be safe though, if anime has taught us anything it's that wide eyed schoolgirls are able to exert near total control over giant robots.
Steko

Re: Forms of Extraterrestrial life

Postby towingportland » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:11 am

I am not so sure if Extraterrestrial life on planet earth is possible. The conditions might just not suit them to survive.
towingportland

Next

Return to Extraterrestrial Life