Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - locating a star

locating a star

locating a star

Postby raulbogdan » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:32 am

hello.this is my first post here and i was hoping you can help me with something.i recently named a star.i know they're scams..but it's a nice gift.i was wondering if there actually is a star at these coordinates: RA 01h 30m 18.62s D +18 23 48.0
can someone please verify if there actually is a star there?i am new to astronomy and have no idea what so ever on how to do this.if someone has the time and the know how please help me.
thanks a lot.

raul from cluj-napoca,romania
raulbogdan

Re: locating a star

Postby irah29 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:03 pm

Hello!

I feel privileged, as anyone would, to have the opportunity to answerthis question.
I think that your idea is wonderful: to give the gift of a star, not a star chosen for you by a corporation,
but one for which you have set the parameters,
and one that your relative can appreciate in the night sky of southern Ontario. I make you this
promise: if you don't like the star I propose, I will gladly find
another one; and if you don't like my work in general, I will gladly
move aside to allow another Researcher to find a star.
Based on your question, I have looked for a star that meets the
following criteria: frequently visible from southern Ontario; bright
enough to see, at least with a little magnification, but not too
bright; and easy to find in relation to a bright star or
constellation. (At first, I thought I should also search for a star
that has a legend associated with it; but then I realized that mainly
the brighter stars would give rise to legends.) Also, since you have
some familiarity with the AAVSO charts, I have looked for a star that
is listed on those charts. (AAVSO is dedicated to variable stars, or
stars with changing brightness, so I looked specifically for that kind
of star.)

make money online
irah29

Postby stone76567 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:16 am

hi irah29..
thanks for the information you given..
btw im new in this site..
and i wanna learn more in this site and thanks for accepting me..
thanks a lot and God Bless..

how to treat depression
stone76567

Postby Jellen00 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:22 am

Thanks for the info you shared here,i really learn from this site...
God bless!!
Jellen00

Postby jrnation » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:43 pm

you learn something new everyday. thanks for posting the info.. :)
solar attic fans- sun tube skylights- residential tubular skylights
jrnation

Postby DMJY510 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:31 am

hello,everyone ,I am damjy,it is my first post in this forum,I think it is necessary to make a short introduction,Don't you think so?I am a new member and I join in you just now,I am so glad to be here.Have a good time .
DMJY510

Return to General astronomy discussion