Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - Universal expansion accelerating.

Universal expansion accelerating.

Universal expansion accelerating.

Postby mykyl » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:02 am

How long can the universe keep producing an ever increasing volume of new space? Where is it getting all the new space from?
mykyl

Re: Universal expansion accelerating.

Postby Parsec » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:33 pm

mykyl wrote:How long can the universe keep producing an ever increasing volume of new space? Where is it getting all the new space from?

I don't think it get's it. More like it creates it.
"We live in a changing universe, and few things are changing faster than our conception of it."
- Timothy Ferris
Parsec

Postby mykyl » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:20 am

In the first second after the Bang the universe had to create a volume of space one light second in diameter (approx 186,300 miles). Today it has to create trillions of times that volume and the numbers keep going up faster and faster second by second. Am I missing something obvious or is there something wierd going on? Mykyl.
mykyl

Postby Parsec » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:09 am

Am I missing something obvious or is there something wierd going on?

Weird,, absolutely!
One thing I have learned over the years is when you deal with the very large (universal) or the very small (quantum) things tend to get weird. In the second case even weirder.

The universe (at least in theory) expands into nothing. I have a difficult time to wrap my mind around this. I think the problem is in perception. It is difficult to imagine nothingness. Just using the term nothing implies something.
So, as the universe expands it creates time and space. It is not expanding into nothing, because there is nothing to expand into. It creates.
I have a hard time with it but I try to understand it.

With the first second and micro seconds of the big bang some of the forces we have today were combined as one. So, space time and distance did not have the meaning they have today.
If this big bang did occur things can pretty well be reversed back to around the Plank constant.
Then every thing breaks down even to the point as reality as we know it.

It is getting even more complicated with thing like string theory, quantum entanglement, multi universes, branes and a host of other things.
Jeez, weird is an understatement, insanity fits it better.

The only thing I do know for sure it is fun and interesting to the Nth degree. :)
"We live in a changing universe, and few things are changing faster than our conception of it."
- Timothy Ferris
Parsec

Return to General astronomy discussion