Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - Venus in Gemini and Jupiter in Scorpius

Venus in Gemini and Jupiter in Scorpius

Venus in Gemini and Jupiter in Scorpius

Postby Tuguldur » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:19 am

Venus,

Jupiter,

clear skies,
Tuguldur
telescope=time machine...
Tuguldur
Site Admin

Postby Parsec » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:09 pm

Nice shots,
I especially like the second one with the buildings.
"We live in a changing universe, and few things are changing faster than our conception of it."
- Timothy Ferris
Parsec

Postby Tuguldur » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:09 pm

Thanks Ron,

BTW, how was your Vesta observation? last 4days here were extremely cloudy... :(

clear skies,
Tuugii
Tuguldur
Site Admin

Postby Parsec » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:46 am

Cloudy weather, oh yes I know all about that.

First night out I had a problem with Vesta. However, last night the skies here were very clear and good transparency. No problem with a good observation.

Vesta was a couple of degrees above Antares and just slightly to the right. Exactly above Psi Ophiuchus.

I was clear enough I decided to do some Messier observations. I took a cup pf coffee out and did seven Messier objects.
M31 was really nice. Actually showed some of the dimmer stars a very small specks.

I was waiting for M31 to 'come up' but the fog came in and obscured the skies. I am curious to see this through the 10".

Also watched the space shuttle and space station on two orbits with Atlantis playing catch up with the ISS.

After they get the new solar pannels on and things settle down, I think I am going to try a radio contact with the space station. I am a Ham Radio operator (VE1 RCW), and on occasion the space station crew will have a short chat with us types.

One last thing, I have been checking around on 10 - 12" glass tools and plates for a long focal length newtonian. So, I may have a question or two for you later on.

Anyway, hope you have clear skies.
:D
"We live in a changing universe, and few things are changing faster than our conception of it."
- Timothy Ferris
Parsec

Postby Tuguldur » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:14 am

wow, thanks for your nice report!

BTW are u in Canada now? how did you manage to see M31, isn't it very low to the horizon? so the atmospheric turbulence might worsen everything ...

if you have any Qs on mirror just let me know, I'll help you as much as I can!

oh, and good luck on your "contact" with the ISS! sounds very interesting!!! woow

clear skies,
Tuugii
Tuguldur
Site Admin

Postby Parsec » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:42 pm

Yes, I am in Canada. Nova Scotia on the east coast.

I am at 44.48.26 N. In fact I am very close to the halfway mark between the equator and north pole.

Right now M31 is a bit low. However, at about 3:30am local time it has enough altitude to be seen without much trouble.

Best time here though is late July into August. It is quite high and you don't have to 'cut' through a lot of atmosphere.
- Timothy Ferris
Parsec

Return to General astronomy discussion