Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - Telescope mirrors

Telescope mirrors

Telescope mirrors

Postby Parsec » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:47 pm

Have a quick question on telescope mirrors.

I know plate glass is not the best thing to make telescope mirrors, however this aside, if one were to grind a larger size mirror from plate glass, but rather than use a thick blank, cut several thinner blanks and laminate them together to get a thickness.

Would this cause major problems?
"We live in a changing universe, and few things are changing faster than our conception of it."
- Timothy Ferris
Parsec

Postby ian » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:38 am

Sounds okay to me. How are you going to do it? :wink:
ian

Re: Telescope mirrors

Postby cherylfoster » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:27 pm

A telescope is an optical telescope that uses a unique combination or curved mirrors that reflect light to form an image. Since telescopes use mirrors the thought that behave like mirrors curved lenses back to Alhazen 11 century treaty on optics, the work that had been widely disseminated in a Latin translation in modern Europe. The potential benefits of the use of parabolic mirrors, mainly the reduction of spherical aberration, chromatic aberration-free. silvered glass mirrors in the 19 century, aluminum siding long term in the 20th century. Segmented mirrors that allow a larger diameter and active optics to compensate for the gravitational distortion. In mid-20th century innovation was catadioptric telescopes such as Schmidt camera, which uses both a goal and the mirror as the main optical elements are used primarily for imaging large field without spherical aberration.
cherylfoster

Re: Telescope mirrors

Postby DMJY510 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:24 am

It took ages for me to get my gamertag linked, because EA site bugged for me. I finally got it to work not so long ago, and am finally able to see screenshots I've taken. And those were taken by accident, when I didn't know how to take 'em (only noticed the feature when "achievement unlocked" popped on my screen, for unlocking the one that you get from taking 3 screenshots). So they are mostly just closeups of ground, with couple knifekills
DMJY510

Return to General astronomy discussion