Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - Should closest stars have names like Proxima Leonis?

Should closest stars have names like Proxima Leonis?

Should closest stars have 'Proxima' names?

yes
50%
no
50%

Total votes : 8

Should closest stars have names like Proxima Leonis?

Postby DHunter » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:15 pm

Most of the closest stars to our solar system don't have a common constellation-based names. I suggest that the closest in each constellation have an altername name starting with Proxima, followed by the constellation name, as is already done for Proxima Centauri. For example, Wolf 359 would be Proxima Leonis, or Ross 154 would be Proxima Sagittarii. This would make any discussion of the closest stars much easier to imagine. You can see more of my suggestions at www.ClosestStars.com, along with some 3-D maps of the closest stars. Any comments?
- D. Hunter
DHunter

Postby ian » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:29 am

Good idea. I don't think there's anything wrong with stars having alternative names :wink:. But why do we have to know if a star is closest in a constellation? :roll:
ian

Postby DHunter » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:17 pm

Thanks for the response - It would be very helpful to have clearer names for the closest stars whenever they are being discussed. I think it is interesting that most people have a mental map of the Earth and of the solar system, but almost no one has a mental map of the closest stars in our stellar neighborhood. When you do map them, as I did on www.closeststars.com, it just feels wrong to use cryptic catalog names like Lalande 21185 or Luyten 726-8. Giving them constellation-based proxima names makes it much easier to visualize their location. It's not so important knowing that a star is the closest in a particular constellation, but just knowing that it is one of the closest to us, and then where it happens to be. This will become more of an issue in the future, when we eventually send probes to stars, and these stars will of course be the first we can visit.
DHunter

Postby admin » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:16 am

I remember wikipedia guys were quite against it. But I personally don't see anything wrong with it. Like Proxima Centauri was named when discovered in 1915.
And you're right, one day those stars will become target for probes and easy names rather than 5-digit numbers would be more practical.
I'm ok if you put the names on sky-map, just add also link to your site for each star like "Proxima Virginis on ClosestStars.com"
admin
Site Admin

Postby ian » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:09 am

When visits to the closest stars hit the news headlines, the newsreaders may prefer to use 'easy names' to appeal to the general public, although astronomers may still want to use the '5-digit numbers' :wink:
ian

Re: Should closest stars have names like Proxima Leonis?

Postby llstwe22 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:14 am

I don't think there's anything wrong with stars having alternative names :wink:
llstwe22

Postby Bahnyen » Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:57 pm

I personally think that the stars should have unique Latin name. As for the Proxima Leonis is not special, in my feeling.
Bahnyen

Postby jrnation » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:36 pm

I think giving stars an alternate name is a good idea. 8)
solar attic fans- sun tube skylights- residential tubular skylights
jrnation

Postby princegupta » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:32 am

please tell me the name of closest star.
princegupta

Return to General astronomy discussion