Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - Help on finding Southern Cross from Guam

Help on finding Southern Cross from Guam

Help on finding Southern Cross from Guam

Postby gclapper » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:19 pm

I confess to being a complete novice. Saw the website on Time Mag. Top 50 and was intrigued.

I am currently on Guam with the military. I was told this is one of the few landmasses (if you can call this island a "mass!") where one can see both the Northern star and the Southern Cross. Is that right? Where should I look for the Southern Cross? I assume it is a cross (duh!) but I don't know how to discern it. If anybody can help I'd appreciate it.

Northern star is found by finding the big dipper, right? Sorry for such elementary questions. (Obviously my field is not navigation!)
AF Traveler
gclapper

Postby peter » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:35 pm

Hi,

You're leaving it a bit late to see it from Guam now. From where I am (just south of Brisbane, Australia) the Southern Cross (or Crux) is beginning to dip down to the west. Your best view of it was back in May when it was at its highest, directly above the south point, around 9pm local time. At present, this is occuring about 4pm.

From Guam (13.5degN) the centre of the cross is about 17deg above the south point at its highest, however the four stars are fairly bright and shouldn't be too hard to see in a dark sky (away from light pollution).

The following are the times it is at its highest above the south point:

mid Jan 5am
mid Feb 3am
mid Mar 1am
mid Apr 11pm
mid May 9pm
mid June 7pm
mid July 5pm
mid Aug 3pm
mid Sept 1pm
mid Oct 11am
mid Nov 9am
mid Dec 7am

Hope this helps,
Peter
peter

Thank you!

Postby gclapper » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:31 am

Wow--thank you for all of the useful information. That is very kind of you and what you have shared will be helpful in my quest.

Peace
AF Traveler
gclapper

Postby peter » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:26 pm

Hi again,

No worries, I enjoy helping people out in astronomy. I've been into it since 1974.

One thing that would probably be really helpful is a planisphere, which is a moveable disc that shows what stars are up at whatever time.

The one I have came from:
David Chandler
PO Box 999,
Springville, CA 93265 USA

Cheers,
Pete
peter

Return to General astronomy discussion