Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - Question for parents: astronomy in schools...

Question for parents: astronomy in schools...

For subjects NOT related to the science or hobby of astronomy.

Question for parents: astronomy in schools...

Postby shlomo » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:08 am

I want to ask parents - do you like how they teach the Astronomy in schools? I notice a few things
? my kids? teacher knows almost nothing about it
? the illustrative materials are extremely pure (they don?t use projectors, don?t have even attractive posters)
? they really pays a lot of attention on different religion aspects and for me it seems like kids are getting confused?

That?s what we have here in LA.
How about you?
shlomo

Postby Nudelkopf » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:16 pm

I have found that a lot of what is taught is extremely repetitive. I think if they're going to learn the order of the planets, they shall get if the first time they learn it - not 5 years later.

Especially in High School, it is too basic. I understand that if the students have a burning desire to learn about Space ? they will. However, I wish the students/children would learn about it in more depth. Hey, you never know, they might enjoy it more that way.

The local school in our area always does brilliant school trips at night to the local Observatory. It is good, I believe, because the children can see what they?re learning about stars and such out in the real world ? and not just learning off maps and charts.
Nudelkopf

Postby Parsec » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:41 pm

I wish the students/children would learn about it in more depth. Hey, you never know, they might enjoy it more that way.

I absolutely agree with you.

The local school in our area always does brilliant school trips at night to the local Observatory. It is good, I believe, because the children can see what they?re learning about stars and such out in the real world ? and not just learning off maps and charts.

Again I agree with you. It makes it much more fun for the kids to learn.
And it is like a loop, if they enjoy it that will want to learn more. :)
"We live in a changing universe, and few things are changing faster than our conception of it."
- Timothy Ferris
Parsec

Postby rayajko » Sat May 26, 2007 5:43 pm

I am a retired astronomy teacher who taught the subject for 34 years for 10-12 grade students at a nearby highschool. It was a popular subject with almost 200 students signing up for it each year. I stressed constellation studies and we used our school observatory that housed a Cave Optical 10" Cassagrain Reflector. The students were very interested and looked forward to the nightly sessions.
Since I retired, astronomy studies at my school has decreased dramatically and the observatory has been dismantled. It's a shame that more schools don't have qualified teachers to teach astronomy so that the students are able to not only learn the sky, but have a life-long interest in the subject.

Bob
rayajko

Looking for educators...

Postby admin » Tue May 29, 2007 9:34 pm

Hi, Bob,
We are looking for help specifically from people related to the education. We initially created the site for kids and we would like to make it as useful and interesting for kids as it?s just possible. For now site is all right from the illustrative perspective but there is not really much to intrigue little kids. May be you could give us a good advice about how to make the site attractive for kids? Did you pay attention on ?The Collection? section? The content of this section is easily controlled with the special administration area. New groups and objects may be added. We have an idea of creating short ?courses? based on the interface used for ?The Collection? - something more informative and more kids-oriented then just ?Galaxies?, ?Nebulas? and so on. May be you would like to help us or may be you might let your colleges or club members to know about this? We would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot.
admin
Site Admin

astronomy education

Postby rayajko » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:47 pm

Thank you for your post concerning educating younger people to the mysteries of astronomy. Now that I am retired from teaching, I have little contact with younger people of school age. I will attempt to contact some people who might be able to help help to get the "younger" generation to check out this website and maybe they might have some ideas.
Posting pictures of star parties with young people using a telescope would be one great way of sharing our interest in astronomy and experienced observers or local astronomy clubs could announce to their local school that they can come to their observing site to look through a telescope.

Bob
rayajko

Postby Jonnyb13 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:53 pm

Admin, try getting the location of sattelites and a link to information about the sattelites.
No, I cant eat my own head.
Jonnyb13

Re: Question for parents: astronomy in schools...

Postby Arthritis » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:51 am

it has been a very long time since I was in grade school but I do remember this particular part of science. I think that the subject was taught the best it could be along with any other topic that they have time for. Instead of having more time in class they should just for sure have a club or extra program for special interest topics such as astronomy and astrology.
Arthritis

Return to Off topic discussions