Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - Where do you get your data ?

Where do you get your data ?

For subjects NOT related to the science or hobby of astronomy.

Where do you get your data ?

Postby cribe » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:35 pm

Hi great site !

From a programmers point of view how did you guys pull it off !?
You are using Google maps api linked to a database. But the rest ??

It would be cool if you explained a bit the inner workings of the site in the FAQ section.

A curious developer...
Chris :P
cribe

Reply:

Postby Smartbreathanalyzer » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:56 am

Hey Chris, I am new to this forum. I was also wondering how they do it. I think its mainly Google maps application that is linked to their data base as you said. If you do know any thing about the rest, do let me know. Thanks!
Smartbreathanalyzer

Re: Where do you get your data ?

Postby vrchards » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:33 am

I found an interesting document written by some of Google’s main architect that describes their file system in great detail. It turns out Google uses a distributed file system spread over many machines. It offers huge storage (hundreds of terabytes) over thousands of machines and thousands of disks.

The advantage of this type of system is redundancy and low cost. Their servers are not top of the line but clustering many of them together creates a highly cost-effective file system.
vrchards

Re: Where do you get your data ?

Postby bobmorton » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:56 am

Hi I am also new here.

Cool!Thanks for sharing it. This sounds very interesting. New useful update again offered by Google to its users.
bobmorton

Return to Off topic discussions