Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - Some suggestions

Some suggestions

Post your ideas on how to improve our site and keep up with the latest site events

Some suggestions

Postby Homam » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:53 pm

This wonderful web app really misses planetarium features. I want to watch the simulated sky as it would be seen from my backyard. Planets, the moon and the sun are missing parts. I love to see the live picture of (at least) the sun in my planetarium software, instead of a yellow disk.
The zoom function needs to display the current FOV.
I enjoyed the Windows Vista gadget, but both the web app and the gadget needs some browser caching, something like what Google Earth does. It seems the current version re-loads the tiles while scrolling out and back to them. At least the tiles around the current field of view need to be cached.
Very nice API, but is it possible to add a method that returns if a part of the sky has SDSS images or not.
And a leap forward: Will you provide 3D view of the universe? I remember some people were working on a web based 3D view of HIP catalog using Microsoft WPF technologies, and wonder if they are related to you.
Thanks for the great job.
don't disturb my circles
Homam

Postby admin » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:00 pm

Hi Homam,

Thank you very much for your comments.
The planetarium feature is on our high-priority tasks list. Many people asking about that.

Not sure what do you mean:
The zoom function needs to display the current FOV.

About caching - there're bit of overhead images for pre-fetching. Some image caching is taken care by browsers, but we're still working on optimizing the cache mechanism.

There's javascript code that checks for SDSS coverage on our site, but if you're interesting in API/XML check - I can easily add it.

No, we are not working on 3D models. Right now we're working on adding more surveys in addition to SDSS.

Regards,
Admin
admin
Site Admin

Postby drjon » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:00 pm

This is an excellent new site, but would it be possible to have an option to invert the display area for the benefit of antipodean users such as myself?
drjon

Postby admin » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:17 am

You mean South pole on top? Hm, never thought about that feature. We will put it in our pending task list.

Thank you for the suggestion,
Admin
admin
Site Admin

Postby drjon » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:43 pm

Wonderful! Thank you.
drjon

Postby f1charlie » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:24 am

Impressive site!

However, being picky, I have noticed sveral typos and grammatical errors on the English FAQs and Getting Started pages. I would guess that your authors do not have English as their first language (or, as is usual with programmers, want to spend all their time on coding :wink: ).
f1charlie

problem with server5

Postby balatonl » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:06 am

As I could understand, due to some balancing reasons, there are different sky-map servers (server1...server5.sky-map.org), which load into the bottom frame.

Well, if I reload the page www.sky-map.org, sometimes the server5.sky-map.org is the active one, but server5 does not include the Hungarian deploy.

Could you please correct this bug?

Thank you, regards,

Laci
balatonl

Postby admin » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:00 am

Ah, forgot about server5, thank you.
I took it out from load balancing for now and will update build this week.

Admin
admin
Site Admin

Re: Some suggestions

Postby danielsimz » Sun May 09, 2010 2:39 am

Just wanted to say hello to you all. Been lurking around here for a week or so and like the site and “ambience” here.
danielsimz

Re: Some suggestions

Postby DMJY510 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:05 am

I copied code from various peoples graphics...
I also changed one a little and reposted it (the how much noob are you).
I made some of the code from scratch to get it all together.
Is that all good?
DMJY510

Return to Suggestions & Announcements