Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EST/-5.0/no DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - Is it possible to enter a location?

Is it possible to enter a location?

Post your ideas on how to improve our site and keep up with the latest site events

Is it possible to enter a location?

Postby ggariepy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:10 am

I assume that the image I'm seeing is driven by the time of day on my local machine. Is it possible to further refine my location within the application? For example, I'm at approximately 43 degrees North and -83 degrees West. Surely the folks at 10 degrees North but the same longitude see a slightly different sky than I do when they go outside. It doesn't look like your application provides for this; perhaps I'm missing something?

Other than that, what you have built here is extremely cool. I'll be back many times! :D

--Geoff
ggariepy

Postby admin » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:02 pm

There's the button "Show stars above.." (button with clock). When you click on it - it asks your location. You can put your city, zip or postal code and it will calculate your geographical location and adjust sky coordinates according your location.

Thank you for your positive feedback,
Admin
admin
Site Admin

Postby ian » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:56 am

Re: 'Show stars above you now'.

Local time setting in the 'Show stars above you now' feature can't be adjusted at present, to enable the 'sky' to be viewed ahead of time, or to show what the 'sky' looked like a few hours before. Is this problem something you are currently working on? If so, how long will it be before local time adjustment is available? :wink:
ian

Postby admin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:15 pm

We currently working on new design of sky map browser. See http://server1.sky-map.org/index2.jsp
New sky browser along with smooth zooming and full screen view has a advanced features like multilayer views that we're planning to use for overlaying grids, constellations and catalogs over any survey.
We're planning to upgrade "Sky Above" feature with ability to show azimuthal grid and azimuthal current position including ability to set date/time to any point.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions & Announcements