Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - more parameters for API

more parameters for API

Post your ideas on how to improve our site and keep up with the latest site events

more parameters for API

Postby balatonl » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:26 pm

I checked the parameters of the XML API. This is the one which I think the most suit the needs of our site. Our main goal is to attach images/maps dynamically to astronomy news (the stories are often about one or more astronomical objects).

I am planning to use the XML API response data in order to dynamically determine the parameters of the Skywindow API.

E.g. I want to display the image/map of NGC 4051 on the end of an astronomy news article (which is about NGC 4051). To be able to do this,
1) first, I have to know if NGC 4051 is included in the database of sky-map.org
2) if yes, I have to parse the response XML, get the coordinates (RA and DEC data), and pass them to the Skywindow API URL. E.g.:
http://server1.sky-map.org/skywindow?ra=12.0526667&de=44.531389

However, I really miss some data from the response XML. The lack of these data makes the XML API less useful for me. These are the followings:
* is there an image about the object in the SDSS database? If yes, I would add "&img_source=SDSS" to the URL (see above). The problem is that if I add "&img_source=SDSS" to the URL and there is now SDSS image about it, an ugly image is displayed with error messages ("requested (ra,dec) is outside the SDSS...").
* what is the optimal zoom rate to display the object? If this information would also be available in the response XML, I could add an optimal "&zoom=X" parameter to the Skywindows URL. (If you think that it can be calculated from the radius data as well, please tell me how. I could not find any information about it in the documentation.)

Me (and so my visitors) would be really happy, if these data would be also available!

Thanks, regards,

Laci
balatonl

Postby admin » Fri May 04, 2007 10:43 pm

Dear Laci,

Thank you for your interest in our project and for your suggestions.
Your feedback is very important for us. We want to have our API as much useful as possible.

1. We will add additional information you suggested into search object XML response

2. We are thinking about how to make SkyWindow API useful without additional API calls. Here are some thoughts:

- when you set parameter img_source and image is not available - automatically switch to regular view (it's actually implemented already on object's page). Additionally allow to pass multiple values comma separated (I.e. img_source=SDSS,DSS2 - if first source is not available for the specified area - try next one);

- theoretically calling skywindow?object=NGC4051 should bring view to the object, if it doesn't work - it's a bug, we're working on it;

- optimal zoom should be selected automatically if "zoom" parameter is not set explicitly (it also works in object's page view).

Please let us know if you have any more ideas of API implementation.

Thank you
admin
Site Admin

API link

Postby balatonl » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:11 am

Hi!

I cannot find the "API" link on the frontpage of WIKISKY. Was it an intentional change?

Thanks, Laci
balatonl

Postby admin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:02 am

API link moved to the bottom line menu
admin
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions & Announcements