Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - Custom Sky Map

Custom Sky Map

Post your ideas on how to improve our site and keep up with the latest site events

Custom Sky Map

Postby pmacnaughton » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:59 pm

I would like to suggest the addition of a capability for a user to enter a location by Latitude and longitude, and get a whole sky map with areas outlined that the user can see say at midnight local time mid month, visible from that location. Perhaps there would be 12 zones showing the visible area +/- 7.5 degrees, one for each month, running from the northern horizon overhead to the southern horizon. My location of interest N45, W78 degrees.

I'm interested in astrophysics and have a brother who is an amateur astronomer, but I've never taken the time to learn where the constellations are. Something like I have described might allow me to picture the sky from my cottage; I know where Sagittarius is roughly in the summer and eventually found it on your whole sky view. Then when I read or hear of some celestial object, say a giant molecular cloud, I can picture it on the sky from my cottage at different times of the year.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Peter Macnaughton
pmacnaughton

Postby admin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:08 am

Peter,
Thank you for your interest in our project and your suggestions.

SKY-MAP actually has ability to show sky above - see button with ticking clock. There're some features still missing like select date/time manually, show azimuthal coordinates, but we're working on it.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions & Announcements