Strict Standards: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943

Strict Standards: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead in /homepages/18/d163655616/htdocs/forum/viewtopic.php on line 943
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /viewtopic.php:943)
SKY-MAP.ORG / WIKISKY • View topic - Observer Horizon

Observer Horizon

Post your ideas on how to improve our site and keep up with the latest site events

Observer Horizon

Postby ian » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:40 am

How about an observer horizon (with N, S, E, W markers) which blanks off objects you can't see from your location (cf Philips Planisphere) or just a prominant oval horizon line overlayed on the star background? You could toggle-on the horizon when you want to focus on your local viewable sky area and turn it off to give the normal full field view.
ian

Postby Jonnyb13 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:50 pm

Oh yes it could be accessed by clicking on the 'show stars above you now' link thats avery good idea .
No, I cant eat my own head.
Jonnyb13

Postby admin » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:52 am

I agree it's good idea, but it's bit difficult to implement it in browser, because it's involves curve lines drawing where JavaScript is struggling with. For now we're thinking to add second line under J2000 position with horizontal coordinates that will be activated on "show stars above" button. Also there're some ideas to show small preview window to show where is the current view located on the whole sky or/and relative to observers horizon.
admin
Site Admin

Horizon

Postby mikebargau » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:14 pm

Hello,
I'm a new user of wikisky and I writing a review of it for a german astronomical magazine. But I have a question about the "show stars above you now"-function:
Basicly I understand it, but where is the local horizon?
Ok, I read there's no horizon line now, but when I look on other astronomical software, some constellations (displayed by wikisky near the center of the screen) are very far from the horizon.
For example:
Location: Lima (Peru), 21:00. Orion, Canis Major and Leo are around the center of the view. But the're below the horizon!?

(This week I must send the review to the magazine)
mikebargau

Postby admin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:14 pm

By clicking "Go" on "Stars above" dialog, the map will be centered on your local zenith point at present time. There're still a lot to do. Currently you cannot customize timer nether see azimuthal coordinates, but we're working on improving that feature.
At present we're quite busy with "Astro photo survey" feature that was just released (see drop-down menu under DSS button). Another very big thing is DSS-II survey that we're working on with support from NASA and STScI. It's multi-terrabyte image survey with resolution close to SDSS, but it covers entire sky. (http://www-gsss.stsci.edu/SkySurveys/SkySurveys.htm)
admin
Site Admin

Postby mikebargau » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:16 pm

Thanx for your fast answer. But usually the map centers not exactly to the local zenith point. There is a difference about several dozen of degrees. With some places the map centers to the horizon (for example Adelaide, Australia) - I think, at places with large time shift opposite UTC.

Independently of these errors, Wikisky is great! And I am impressed that this works only with Javascript. :D
mikebargau

Postby admin » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:33 pm

Can you verify time zone in drop down box correctly set to local time zone at place you're looking for. If yes - it might be a bug with the proper time zone handling, specifically if location's time zone differs from viewer's computer time zone.
admin
Site Admin

Postby mikebargau » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:37 pm

Yes I can verify the time zone - I checked it by a special website.
mikebargau

Return to Suggestions & Announcements